The Historic Pittsburgh Maps Collection comprises five series of maps helpful for studying and tracing the physical development and changes of the Pittsburgh area landscape:
City of Pittsburgh Geodetic and Topographic Survey Maps, 1923-1961
Contains 171 plates prepared by the City of Pittsburgh Department of Planning staff. Plates can be browsed from an index map.
Darlington Digital Library Maps
Of the hundreds of maps in this collection, over 70 of them were created in the mid-18th through early-20th centuries and depict
Pittsburgh or Allegheny County
, including maps of Fort Pitt, plans of Pittsburgh, maps of Pittsburgh and Allegheny cities, Bird's-eye maps of Carnegie, Duquesne, Glassport, Homestead, and other western Pennsylvania cities.
Flood Commission of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1912
Contains 14 plates produced as part of the Report of the Flood Commission. Plates can be browsed from an index map.
G. M. Hopkins Company Maps, 1872-1940
Contains 46 volumes (1,820 plates) that show lot and block numbers, dimensions, street widths, names of property owners, churches, cemeteries, mills, schools, roads, railroads, lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams. Plates within each volume can be browsed; all plates are searchable by street name.
Warrantee Atlas of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 1914
Contains 49 plates that depict the original land grants that settlers of present-day Allegheny County received from the Commonwealth after William Penn and his descendants vested the land to the legislature. An index to plates and names is available.
We offer print and digital reproductions of the maps for sale. If you are interested in making a purchase, please see our information on how to
place an order
. Maps from the Historic Pittsburgh collection can also be freely downloaded as 200 dpi JPG images by following the Download Map link within each plate description.
with feedback and questions.
Historic Pittsburgh is hosted by the University of Pittsburgh's
Digital Research Library