Title
Steel Outline of the Cathedral of Learning
Date
September 26, 1929
Creator
Unknown
Description
View of the Cathedral of Learning during construction. The structural steel is almost finished. The University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning, championed by Chancellor John Bowman, was built from 1926-1936 and dedicated in 1937. It is the second-tallest education building in the world at 42 stories and 535 feet tall. The Gothic style Cathedral was designed by Charles Klauder and the general contractor was Stone and Webster. It serves as the geographic and traditional center of campus.
Subjects
Oakland (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Cathedral of Learning (Pittsburgh, Pa.); Buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Design and construction.; Steel, Structural--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.
Location
Oakland
Format
8x10 Gelatin Silver Print
Identifier
CTL028.UA
Source
University of Pittsburgh Historic Photographs, 1884-present
Additional Information
Ordering Reproductions

Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh - Historic Pittsburgh Image Collection

Steel Outline of the Cathedral of Learning

(CTL028.UA)
size