Title
Hillman Library construction Site
Date
June 13, 1964
Creator
James McClain
Description
Forbes Field was the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1909 until June 28, 1970, when the team moved to Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh's North Side neighborhood. The field, named for General John Forbes, a British general during the French and Indian War, was originally built on the site of a 1908 football game between Carnegie Tech and the University of Pennsylvania. The field had a capacity of 25,000 in 1909 and 35,000 in 1938. The field, built at a cost of $1 million, was the first ballpark in the United States constructed entirely of poured concrete and steel. The first night game was played there on June 4, 1940. Prior to their occupation of Forbes Field, the Pirates played at Exposition Park from 1891 until 1909. The University of Pittsburgh, who purchased Forbes Field in 1958 for $3 million, originally allowed the Pirates use of the field for another 5 years; however, the team continued to play there until the opening of Three Rivers Stadium in 1970. Forbes Field was finally demolished July 28, 1971.
Subjects
Forbes Field (Pittsburgh, Pa.);University of Pittsburgh.Hillman Library.;Oakland (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Digital Identifier
MSP285.B004.F15.I02
Source Identifier
MSP285.B004.F15.I02
Source
Allegheny Conference on Community Development Photographs, 1892-1981
Additional Information

Senator John Heinz History Center - Historic Pittsburgh Image Collection

Hillman Library construction Site

(MSP285.B004.F15.I02)
size